I’m assuming that if you’re following this Bone Series, you either want to be healthier or have osteopenia or osteoporosis or know someone who does. So let’s see how you’re doing:
It’s been several weeks since I published Part 1: Healthy Diet (not just for osteoporosis!). Have you settled on the diet that works for you? If so, how’s that going?
I chose to combine all three diets plus my blood type diet.
What has helped me get the 80% alkaline was my friend’s recipe for her Belizean Green Drink:
Belizean Green Drink
This is a drink we use as a multi-vitamin. For extra power, we add powdered greens. To purify the blood, add chlorella or spirulina.
- 1 ½ – 2 cups of fresh pineapple, or if you prefer, you may use papaya
- ¼ pound of spinach, kale, calaloo, mustard greens
- 1 handful parsley or cilantro
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 avocado
- stevia (optional – to taste)
- ¼ cup each of any fresh or dried herbs such as basil, mint, raspberry leaf,
- oregano, etc.
- 2 cups coconut water
- enough filtered water to make ½ gallon of drink
- Blend pineapple and spinach in the blender. Pour into a glass jar.
- Blend other ingredients and water in the blender.
- Add to spinach.
- Keep refrigerated.
This drink lasts up to 4 – 5 days. Drink 12 – 16 oz. a day.
You may vary this according to taste and what other vegetables you need. Almost any vegetable or herb can be put into this drink. (Watch out for those that are bitter!)
(Note: Because I’m following my blood-type diet, I don’t eat nightshades, so I use cucumber instead of bell pepper. And because I no longer live five minutes from three organic food stores, I do not include parsley or cilantro anymore. But I brought my dried herbs with me and use them in this drink. I make this green drink every five days because it helps me get that 80% alkaline when I eat beans (Peter J. D’Adamo’s Eat Right for Your Type and Greger’s “Daily Dozen”).
Another recipe that helps your healthy diet is Patrick Holford’s “Magic Formula” for omega fats. As he wrote,
“Smart animals—from parrots to people—eat seeds. Seeds are incredibly rich in essential fats, minerals, vitamin E, and protein. You need a tablespoon a day for 100 percent health (p. 76).
Here’s the magic formula:
1. Fill a glass jar with an airtight lid half with flaxseeds (rich in omega 3) and half with a combination of sesame, sunflower, and pumpkin seeds (rich in omega-6).
2. Keep the jar sealed and place it in the refrigerator to minimize damage from light, heat, and oxygen.
3. Put a handful in a coffee or seed grinder, grind up, and put on cereals or soups (Patrick Holford, The New Optimum Nutrition Bible, p.77).”
(Note: If you don’t have a coffee grinder, chew well.)
Which diet did you choose? How’s that going? Got a recipe to share that is alkalinizing or offers a way to eat those vitamins we need?
Till next time,
Please be kind to everyone you meet, for we all have our hidden sorrows. ~Tzaddi
Pingback: Health Series: Osteoporosis and Alzheimer’s | skatingthru2012