Independence Day means more to me than being free of Britain’s rule or the funny film by the same title.
It’s also a good time to notice how I’m doing with my personal independence. Curious? These are the questions I consider:
1. Do you feel strong enough to make your own decisions?
2. Do you care what others think about you?
3. Are you the “one who knows”, compelling you to tell others what to eat, how to vote, or how awful the world is?
4. Can you focus on what you want and allow others to do the same?
5. Do you have a personal goal and the commitment to see it through?
6. Can you accept responsibility for everything you experience?
7. Do you believe that “who you are” is a unique expression and therefore worth continuing no matter how steep that mountain in your life appears to be?
8. Do you wake up wondering, “Why bother getting up?”
9. Does the behavior of other people upset you?
10. Do you find it challenging to be kind to people who offend you?
Notice which questions you answered “yes” and which ones you said “No.”
If you answered “Yes” to 1, 4, 5, 6 and 7 and “No” to 2, 3, 8, 9, and 10, you’re an evolved, independent person. (But you probably don’t still have a body.)
If you love yourself enough to be the best you can be and are willing to do the work to become an evolved, independent person.
If you accept yourself as you are no matter whether you’re stuck and totally resistant to change.
If you’ll at least consider these ideas and the relationship they have to your personal experience.
Till next time,
Please be kind to everyone you meet, for we all have our hidden sorrows. ~Tzaddi